SLC Student Connex
We want you to stay connected while you are Learning at Home. The support of your teachers and peers will help shape your learning experience. This connection will start with your check-in each morning during Life Group and continue with teachers via email, OneNote and Teams during the day.
Students will be expected to wear their College uniform (sport or formal) while online.
Parents will need to complete a permission form before a student can receive one on one tutorial support from a teacher online.
Be Safe Online
Students should be aware of potential issues when working in an online platform and dealing with people they do not know. Teachers will only use closed products such as Microsoft Teams, that can be carefully managed by the College. It is important that students do not engage in other sites that are not recommended by our staff.
Smart digital citizens know how to protect themselves and their data online.
Be Digitally Literate
If you do not know how to use a piece of software, find online tutorials to help or reach out via our support line.
Make use of the digital tools you have been introduced to wisely.
The call function on Teams is for use during class time only.
The best way to communicate with your teacher outside of normal school hours is via email. Communicate in the same respectful manner that you would whilst at school.
Learning at home
Hover over the hotspots for top tips
Your learning space should be in plain sight, not in a bedroom.
It should be a quiet space with access to power and a strong, stable internet signal.
Check that the electrical equipment (power boards, extension cords and cables etc.) are in good working order.
Practical and comfortable
A proper desk and chair should be used. Students should not be lounging around on the floor or on other items such as bean bags while working online for long periods of time.
Other resources such as paper and pens should be in easy reach.
The learning space should be well lit. Natural lighting is preferred.
Proper ventilation is essential to provide maximum fresh air for your child. An open window nearby is preferred.
Headphones may be necessary if you have siblings working from home so you can hear instructions from teachers online.
Who to connect with and how to do it
Communicating with Teachers
- While Learning at Home, students will be expected to communicate with teachers regularly via email so they can stay connected while not onsite.
- Professional dialogue must always be maintained and students should not use acronyms such as LOL when writing to their teacher via chat or email.
- Students are not permitted to connect with staff via social media platforms.
- Please respect teachers’ personal time. Teachers will reply to communication when they are able around class time and it is not an expectation that they will reply to emails after hours.
- Please refrain from using the chat function on Teams to communicate with teachers outside of regular school hours.