The Student / Family / College relationship is vital through HILLCREST ConneX as teachers partner with families to maximise Learning at Home and establish positive online routines. Maintaining a strong connection between the College and home will help to foster positive students outcomes long term.
Your learning space should be in plain sight, not in a bedroom.
It should be a quiet space with access to power and a strong, stable internet signal.
Check that electrical equipment (power boards, extension cords and cables etc.) are in good working order.
Practical and comfortable
A proper desk and chair should be used. Students should not be lounging around on the floor or on other items such as bean bags while working online for long periods of time.
Other resources such as paper and pens should be in easy reach.
The learning space should be well lit. Natural lighting is preferred.
Proper ventilation is essential to provide maximum fresh air for your child. An open window nearby is preferred.
Headphones may be necessary if you have siblings working from home so you can hear instructions from teachers online.
Who to connect with and how to do it
Communicating with Teachers
- While Learning at Home, students will be expected to communicate with teachers regularly via email so they can stay connected while not onsite.
- Professional dialogue must always be maintained and students should not use acronyms such as LOL when writing to their teacher via chat or email.
- Students are not permitted to connect with staff via social media platforms.
- Please respect teachers’ personal time. Teachers will reply to communication when they are able around class time and it is not an expectation that they will reply to emails after hours.
- Please refrain from using the chat function on Teams to communicate with teachers outside of regular school hours.
Learning Hours and Check-ins
It is recommended that all students maintain, as best they can around family dynamics, the same learning hours they would experience when on-site at school. A familiar routine when Learning at Home is important. All students and families are encouraged to engage in the core learning of each day. Suggested timetables for different year levels can help you manage your time and facilitate learning.
As it is important that Hillcrest Christian College is aware of your child’s attendance online, they will need to check in for Life Group (8:25-8:50am) each day and for the double lesson in each of their classes. Please note that a small change has been made to Thursday’s lesson times to allow for a Life Group check-in each day. An example of an online timetable is shown below.
‘Office Hours’ refers to the time to reflect on the day and follow up on items such as:
- emailing teachers with questions that you may have from during the day
- starting homework and individual study to consolidate your learning
- reviewing the next day to get ready for learning
- finishing assignment tasks so deadlines can be met.